Areas Of Practice
Are you facing a DUI charge in Rhode Island? Call the Law Offices of Thomas G. Briody to consult an aggressive, compassionate DUI attorney.
We Help Get Your Life Back To Normal
Seek Guidance from an Experienced DUI Attorney in Rhode Island
A DUI conviction in Rhode Island can lead to a range of serious legal consequences, including heavy fines, time in prison, driver’s license revocation, and permanent damage to your reputation. Such a conviction can harm your career prospects and may even affect a child custody order.
Furthermore, criminal records are public in Rhode Island, so potential employers, lenders, and landlords can view your criminal history.
To steer your life back on track, you need fast and efficient legal help. DUI attorney Thomas G. Briody has many years of experience achieving dismissals or reduced charges in DUI/DWI cases in Providence, RI. Contact our law firm today for a quick, reliable case evaluation.
Drunk Driving and/or Refusing a Breathalyzer Can Have Serious Consequences
DWI charges in Rhode Island may include the following:
- Drunk Driving: Driving with a BAC (blood alcohol content) of .08% or higher. Drivers under 21 or drivers operating commercial vehicles may face special consequences.
- Refusal of a Breathalyzer or Chemical Test can be prosecuted, and can lead to fines and a loss of license.
- Impaired Driving: Driving under the effect of any substance that can decrease vehicle operating abilities, including your prescription medications.
The Harsh Consequences for Felony DUI Charges May Vary in Rhode Island
The Rhode Island criminal justice system classifies most DUI offenses as misdemeanors, but sometimes DUI/DWI can count as felonies. A felony DUI conviction may lead to harsh penalties, including mandatory jail time, hefty fines, license suspension, an extended probation period, community service hours, and obligatory participation in an alcohol or drug treatment program.
You may face felony DUI charges in Rhode Island if:
- It’s your third or higher DUI offense within the last five years
- Your impaired driving caused an accident that led to injuries
Repeated and aggravated DUI offenses involve higher stakes. For example, a third DUI with illegal drug use or a BAC higher than 0.15% may result in five years of incarceration, thousands of dollars in fines, and losing your license for three years.
Your entire future may hang on the outcome of your case, so using a public defender or a lawyer who isn’t well versed in this type of DUI/DWI case could be a colossal mistake. Retain a skilled DUI criminal attorney like Thomas G. Briody, who has successfully handled many complex DUI/DWI cases in Rhode Island.
Underage DUI Charges and Your Future
Rhode Island law reserves special penalties for underage DUI/DWI offenders. The BAC threshold for drivers under 21 is only .02%. Apart from the usual penalties for motorists who operate a vehicle with a BAC above .08%, drivers under 21 with a BAC between .02% and .08% could face the following:
- A fine of up to $250, up to three months of license suspension, and 30 community service hours for a first offense
- A similar fine plus a highway assessment fee of $300, 60 community service hours, and license suspension of up to six months for a second offense
Moreover, a DUI/DWI conviction stays on your record for at least five years. Your criminal history can prevent you from entering the college of your choice, qualifying for scholarships, or applying for financial assistance. A conviction could also impact your career after college.
One error shouldn’t wreck your future. Timely legal support from a savvy DUI attorney can help you rebuild your life and avoid the costs, inconvenience, disruptions, and harm to your reputation that come with a criminal conviction.
Mitigating Consequences and Seeking to Lessen a DUI Charge
At the Law Offices of Thomas G. Briody, we provide smart, compelling, and personalized legal defense for motorists facing DUI charges in Rhode Island. DUI/DWI lawyer Thomas G. Briody will examine your case and use all available legal tools to keep you out of jail, preserve your driving privileges, and protect your future.
Our DUI law firm can utilize many creative tactics in the course of representing you. We may fight to suppress illegally sourced evidence, challenge breathalyzer tests, and look for breaches of police procedure that could help us achieve case dismissal.
If fighting for case dismissal is impractical, we may work towards a plea bargain and seek to reduce your charges from a felony to a misdemeanor, or we may seek to get you into a rehabilitation program in exchange for lighter penalties. We can also work with you to expunge a DUI conviction from your record.
Work Closely With Thomas G. Briody, an Experienced DUI Attorney in Rhode Island, As Soon As You Suspect You Might Have An Issue
The sooner you contact an experienced Providence DUI lawyer, the better your chances of avoiding or reducing penalties and mitigating the long-term consequences of a DUI charge.
Don’t wait until you’re facing criminal charges — contact DUI attorney Thomas G. Briody as soon as you believe you may be in legal trouble. Call (401) 751-5151 today to discuss your case.
Law Offices of Thomas G. Briody — Aggressive, Compassionate Defense
Why Choose the Law Offices of Thomas G. Briody?
You need help right now to improve your legal situation and put your life back together. Time is of the essence. We are here to guide you and advocate on your behalf. Move past the paralyzing anxiety and begin protecting your future. The sooner you reach out, the better we may be able to help you, so call the Law Offices of Thomas G. Briody in Providence, Rhode Island, today.
- Aggressive, compassionate defense from an advocate who is deeply familiar with the intricacies of the legal system in Rhode Island
- Strong and effective representation for both state and federal criminal allegations
- Experience building on three decades of Rhode Island criminal defense cases
- Personal, individualized direct handling of your case from a seasoned Rhode Island attorney
- A strong record representing individuals accused of crimes, ranging from teenagers to high-ranking government officials
- Creative tactics to preserve opportunities for your future and to clear your name
- Peace of mind under pressure